Using Western Digital WD2002FYPS 2TB HDDs with RAID Controllers
Some special configuration steps are necessary for stable operation for the use of 2 TB Western Digital WD2002FYPS Hard Drives on SAS/SATA RAID.
On WD2002FYPS hard drives with 04.05G04 firmware Time Outs can occur in some configurations. With the 04.05G05 firmware Western Digital has made several improvements to the (original extract from Western Digital):
- Command Completion Time Outs:
- The RE4 GP drives would intermittently spin down while exiting from the lowest idle power mode (heads park in the ramp automatically) due to a false RPM speed fault.
- Improved error handling of a very specific type of servo defect to eliminate multiple missed revolutions during the operation of write commands.
- Warm Boot Drop-Offs: The drive can drop off line intermittently after a warm boot (RAID initiated reboot following a RAID build).
- Performance: Optimized sequential write performance to eliminate pauses during data transfers.
- With a SAS Expander Chip the WD2002FYPS Hard Drive can be operated independently from your firmware version. It does not matter if the Expander Chip on the Backplane is found on the RAID-Controller (such as in the Adaptec Series 5 High-Port Controllers 51245, 51645, 52445). At least one firmware build 17544 is required in the High-Port Adaptec controllers. The Adaptec Firmware 17899 solves this as well as other problems (Fixed an issue where Western Digital WD2002FYPS drives would drop under heavy I/O on Adaptec High-Port controllers.)
- Without SAS Expander Chip the following requirements are necessary for stable operation:
- Operation with 1.5 Gb/s (instead of 3 Gb/s)
- (ev.can also help a firmware update disk firmware on 04.05G05)
- WD RE4 GP Block Point Change Firmware Revision Change (see the PDF links)
- Q15573 - Compatibility: Are the 9650SE and the 9690SA compatible with the Western Digital WD2002FYPS enterprise SATA drives? 3ware Knowledge Base
- Are 2 TB Western Digital hard drives supported by the controllers of the series 2 and 5? (Adaptec Technische Datenbank)
- Q15592 - How to question: WD RE4 GP Block Point Change Firmware Revision Change WD2002FYPS 3ware Knowledge Base
Author: Werner Fischer
Werner Fischer, working in the Web Operations & Knowledge Transfer team at Thomas-Krenn, completed his studies of Computer and Media Security at FH Hagenberg in Austria. He is a regular speaker at many conferences like LinuxTag, OSMC, OSDC, LinuxCon, and author for various IT magazines. In his spare time he enjoys playing the piano and training for a good result at the annual Linz marathon relay.