FreeIPMI is a collection of IPMI utilities for Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris. The collection provides a set of features similar to ipmitools, but offers several advantages, in particular for checking the discrete type sensors. You can find a comparison of FreeIPMI with other IPMI utilities in the article, FreeIPMI – Frequently Asked Questions.
FreeIMPI has become directly available in several Linux distributions:
|Linux Distribution||FreeIPMI Version|
|Debian 6.0 (Squeeze)||0.7.17~beta2-1|
|Debian 7.0 (Wheezy)||1.1.5-3|
|Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx||0.7.15-2 (0.7.16.beta1 laut ipmimonitoring -V)|
|Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin)||0.8.12-3|
|Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr)||1.1.5-3ubuntu3|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS ab Version 5.2||0.5.1-5.el5 bzw. 0.5.1-6.el5 (als Technology Preview)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS ab Version 6.0||0.7.16-3|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS ab Version 7.0||1.2.9-6.el7|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11||enthält keine FreeIPMI Pakete|
You can find detailed changelogs about the individual versions of FreeIMPI here:
Extract from the changelog with regards to the Thomas Krenn server:
- FreeIPMI 1.0.2 - 02/22/11: Support Supermicro X7DBR-3, X8DTL-3F, [X8DT3-LN4F]] motherboard OEM sensors. (Replaces FreeIPMI cannot read OEM sensors - CPU Temp only returns N/A.)
- FreeIPMI 1.0.4 - 04/21/11: Support additional sensor/SEL interpretations for Intel motherboards. (Replace FreeIPMI SMI Timeout Sensor Monitoring Status not available for SR1625 and SR2625 servers.)
- FreeIPMI 1.0.6 - 09/01/11: Support Supermicro X8SIL-F, X9SCL, and X9SCM motherboard OEM sensors.
- FreeIPMI 1.0.9 - 11/21/11: Support Supermicro OEM sensors on X9SCM-F motherboards with newer firmware. (With IPMI Firmware 1.30 Supermicro corrected the Manufacturer ID)
- FreeIPMI 1.1.3 - 03/06/12: Support Supermicro CPU temperature SEL events.
- FreeIPMI 1.1.6 - 06/28/12: Support Supermicro X9DRi-F OEM sensors and events. (Re: (Freeipmi-devel) Supermciro X9DRi-F CPU1 Temp and CPU2 Temp sensors)
- FreeIPMI 1.2.3 - 11/14/12: In all tools, support nochecksumcheck workaround option. (see FreeIPMI query to Supermicro Systems fails via LAN channel)
Compiling FreeIPMI under Debian & Ubuntu
Use the following commands to compile the current FreeIPMI source code under Debian or Ubuntu:
wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/freeipmi/freeipmi-VERSION.tar.gz tar xzvf freeipmi-VERSION.tar.gz cd freeipmi-VERSION sudo apt-get install build-essential libgcrypt11-dev ./configure make sudo make install sudo ldconfig
Without additional special parameters, the FreeIMPI tools return values from the system currently running the tools, such as:
You can use other options for access to the baseboard management controller on another system through the network, such as:
ipmi-sensors -h 10.1.102.10 -u monitoring -p relation -l user
Author: Werner Fischer
Werner Fischer, working in the Web Operations & Knowledge Transfer team at Thomas-Krenn, completed his studies of Computer and Media Security at FH Hagenberg in Austria. He is a regular speaker at many conferences like LinuxTag, OSMC, OSDC, LinuxCon, and author for various IT magazines. In his spare time he enjoys playing the piano and training for a good result at the annual Linz marathon relay.