Determine Server Heat Loss for Air Conditioning
For determining the proper requirements for air conditioning systems for a server room, it is important to know the heat loss of the individual devices. For this, the heat loss (power dissipation) is specified in British Thermal Units per hour (BTU/h).
To calculate the heat loss based on the power consumption (in watts), multiplying the power consumption in watts by 3.41 will suffice.
Idle operation: 228 watts Operation under load: 388 watts
- BTU/h for idle operation:
228 Watt * 3.41 = 777.48 BTU/h
- BTU/h for operation under load:
388 Watt * 3.41 = 1323.08 BTU/h
- The real heat loss will lie somewhere between these two values depending on the load placed on the server.
- A white paper from the APC regarding the calculation of data center thermal performance, pages 3-4 (in German)
- For determining the requirements for USP equipment, see The Difference between VA (Volt-amperes) and Watts